Friday, October 21, 2011

The New 52: Batwing #1

Let's get right to the thick of it.

WHO CARES?

The last thing I need is another Bat title, about a character I'm not even remotely interested in. I read the first two issues, just to be sure that I wasn't underselling Winnick's work, and I'm not. It's fine. It presents a passable story, that I don't find myself caring about at all, with basically no hook that I could find. It's not terrible, but there's nothing special about it. It stinks of having another Bat book just for the sake of having one.

Also, add it to the list of books that doesn't read well for the admitted target audience of the New 52. If you don't know you're Batman Inc history, this doesn't make any sense at all. Strange for a refreshed universe to demand so much back story knowledge. In the end, I'm really only left with one honest question:

If DC cancelled this book, would anyone even really notice?

No comments: