Wednesday, August 03, 2011

OUT.

I have submitted my order for September and it does not include weekly DC titles.

In the end, I just don't see the point. The entire venture has, in my opinion, been a slap in the face to current/ongoing consumers for the sakes of the untapped consumer. It's like a bank that offers people who don't do business with it a better rate than people who've been there 10 years. It's just stupid. I can't bring myself to be the guy who's loyal to a brand that isn't loyal to me.

Additionally, while not enamored of the idea of moving out of weekly books and into trades, it will mean more money in my pocket during golf season. That's a plus. And if any of the NEW 52 turn out to be terrific, they can, as Randy points out, easily be picked up in trades later on.

Plus I'll bet money we'll be back to regular numbering and the original universe by.......April.

4 comments:

Randy Meredith said...

The other benefit of Trade Waiting is easier storage. You can put a book on your shelf and go back and read it.

How often do you dig through your boxes and boxes of old comics to dig something out you want to read again. My answer is almost never.

However when I walk by my bookshelf and see a FF Archives or Steranko SHIELD book there, I occassionally pull the book down and read some or all of it again.

And if I read it and don't want to keep it, I put it in the Half Price books pile and get a buck back on it. Tough to do that with floppies these days.

The 4th Man said...

First off......I do it all the time.

I mean, it's the best part of having a collection like mine. I have racking lining the walls of my basement that holds the boxes, and everything is sorted in alphabetical order. Finding something I feel like reading is actually very easy.

That said, I won't argue that the method you propose is easier.

Second off.....why would I ever get rid of a comic book? That's just crazy talk.

Randy Meredith said...

When I wrote for Marvel, I was on the comp list --which was GREAT since I got all Marvels and DCs (and some Dark Horse) for free. But I got ALL Marvels and DCs for free. This meant the entire Star Comics line. Tons of really bad superhero stuff.

I'd love to get rid of some of those. I have over 20K comics. I need to thin the pack. Bring the car down. I'll load you up.

The 4th Man said...

DEAL!

And my wife would be in heaven if I ever got my collection down to 20k. She wouldn't know what to do with all the space!

Maybe you should do a guest blog, and share with us what your time at Marvel was like. I knew you'd been in publishing, but I don't think I ever got the details of that time.