Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Random find: Byrne love

Check out this post (and the work in gerenal that's being done over at Nerdage) from last year.

It got me thinking about a guy who's work I really, really admire.

60 Comics By John Byrne That You Should Read

I stumbled on it by chance while referencing the cover of X-Men 141 for a friend, and it lead to quite a conversation about Byrne.

For the record, I cannot imagine skipping his Alpha Flight run, and I think his FF work was sensational. His current Next Men work is a real thinking book. I'm always rereading, and trying to extrapolate out where the series may be going.

2 comments:

Randy Meredith said...

I haven't really liked Byrne's work since he started inking himself. He needs a stronger line (and less Benday dots).

Also the fact that John seems to have gone around the bend in real life colors my perceptions. I followed his blog for a while and he seemed to be a bitter old man. My encounters with him at Mid-Ohio-Con during his last few appearances reinforced that idea as well.

Having said that, most of the books in that article are classics. Too bad I don't have a trade of them I could pull of the shelf.

The 4th Man said...

I haven't had that "up close and personal" moment with him, except for at a baseball game in Toronto once, where I'm pretty sure I was the only person who had any idea who he was.

That was over a decade ago.

Other comments I've seen around the net (not a reliable source for information) suggest your perspective isn't uncommon.