Sunday, April 25, 2010

Doom. War. Two of my favorite words.

I issue in and I do like Doomwar more than any of the other mage-super-unbelievable event series that Marvel has run in recent years, and that includes the recent event they hyped as seven years in the making; Siege.

You all heard me take up for Black Panther (both of the last two series) on this blog, and now the recent series of Black Panther looks like it was all leading to this; Doom is making a play for the Vibranium mines in Wakanda.  The Black Panther line has been deposed in a "bloodless coup" driven by a secret faction within the country itself.  They gained the technical aid to get it done by their most clandestine of backers from the country of Latveria.  What we're left with is a play taking place on two fronts.

While the public consumes the sudden isolationist policies of Wakanda's new government, The Black Panther and King T'Challa make plans to reclaim their country.  The writer does an excellent job of showing us how it was possible and why it happened, and I felt intrigued by the politics of the story just a little bit. The new government has condemned Queen Ororo as a witch and is preparing for an execution, which only serves to add to the drama of the situation as it is unfolding.

And with that bit of information, do you need me to tell you who Black Panther has recruited to her cause?

With the X-Men at their side, Panther and T'Challa are more than capable of winning back Wakanda.  But can they do it in time to stop Doom?

And why did Doom secretly back the takeover of Wakanda?  Why not simply attempt a takeover of his own?  The answers are revealed in Doomwar, but his involvement adds another element to the story.  Taking back the country won't bother Doom at all, so long as it happens after he gets his hands on the refined Vibranium that Wakanda alone possesses. This is the second tier to the series, and actually is a little bit more difficult to stomach.  Apparently Vibranium not only is an incredible alien ore that when refined can craft things like Captain America's shield, but it also can be used to amplify energy.  All types of energy.  Including arcane energy.

What?

You forgot that Doom is also a recreational sorcerer with a megalomaniac's delusions of universal conquest?  Well now's the time to be reminded.  If Doom gets access to the Vibranium, we are assured that he will be more powerful than anyone.  Laying it on a bit thick to make their point?  Sure they are.  But the writing is solid and the story does flow.

As is almost always the case though, it's going to come down to the finish.

For me, most of Marvel's biggest events have died because the great idea didn't reach a great climax.  Given the two arcs in front of me right now (Doomwar & Siege) I'm prepared to bet more money on Doomwar and a writer I don't know than I am on Siege.  I'm hoping for the best with it, but acknowledging the trend by Bendis to turn a great idea into a disappointing climax.

I'll let you know my final thoughts when I get to the end of it, but I had to comment because I've really loved the way that this book flowed from the most recent 12 issue run on Black Panther.  If you didn't read it, I seriously think you lost out.

No comments: