Thursday, June 02, 2011

I lied.....I had one more thought to get out.

Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning.

Why do they matter, you ask? Well, mostly because they do some of the best work in the industry and are generally handed books that are under-achieving, or stock full of B-list characters that are inevitably going to die off no matter how good they get.

In fact a comic store employee I know tells me whenever we discuss them that "As soon as Ain't It Cool News catches on and realizes that their books are awesome, they're sure to be canceled." He's not just making that crap up either. Abnett & Lanning have a history of terrific runs on under selling titles that almost nobody has heard of:
  • Resurrection Man
  • Nova
  • Guardians Of The Galaxy
  • Majestic
  • The Authority
  • etc, etc, etc
Now they've gotten to work on a new Heroes For Hire series over at Marvel, and once again it would appear that they're doing OUTSTANDING work. I can't say I'm surprised, but I can say that I don't understand why their names on a title don't automatically mean decent sales. Is the comic buying world really that obtuse? If the name on the cover doesn't say Bendis, Miller, Ennis, Ellis or Johns does that mean that it's not worth immediately giving a try to?

I have a much larger list of names I'll try new books from than the ones I listed above, and I keep Abnett & Lanning on it at all times. I find their fresh approach to most characters appealing, and I also love that they don't over think the product. These two guys knows their market and they don't shy away from it. They write comic books about super heroes.

Sometimes that's all I want.

No comments: